OD Consultant, Executive Coach
George has 20 years experience in the areas of organizational
consulting and coaching. He has worked with leaders and their
- Align strategy, structure, and execution
- Build accountable, high-morale organizations
- Develop teams that excel at coordination, communication
and decision making
- Exercise power effectively
- Grow personally and professionally
Prior to starting his own company in 1997, George held management
and internal consulting positions at technology companies. He has
also held training and OD positions in business consulting and firms
contracting with the federal government. His most recent management
position was as head of OD for Apple Computer. He worked with the
CEO and executive team as lead internal consultant in developing
and implementing a turnaround strategy. While at Apple, George also
ran the quarterly strategic off-sites for the top 50 leaders and
consulted to the division VP's on a range of issues.
Consulting / Coaching Experience:
George has worked with executives and their teams - from Fortune
100 companies to start-ups, mostly in the domain of high technology
and bio-technology. His work has included coaching individuals to
improve productivity, helping organizations adapt their practices
and culture to reflect new business realities and development of
training curriculum's for core competence work. Leaders comments
- "George's mix of experience, influence and diplomacy make
him the best coach I've worked with in 10 years."
Pierre Samec, former CTO, Ventro Corporation
- "George excelled at helping us understand the difficult
issues and productively deal with them. He has a unique ability
to deliver difficult assessments in ways people can hear."
Tom Hammer, VP Development, Ventro Corporation
- "George helped me overcome the "immediate urgency"
to learn a set of practices to communicate better, build loyalty
and get better results."
Kambiz Hooshmand, Group VP, Cisco Systems
In addition to the clients above, other companies George has worked
with include Apple, Brocade, Compaq, Calpine, Portal Software, Spectra-Physics
and Wily Technology.
- He is adjunct staff for the Interpersonal Dynamics course at
Stanford University Graduate School of Business.
- He has been guest lecturer at several business school programs
at San Jose State University.
- He has been adjunct staff for Action Design Institutes program
on developing productive reasoning skills (Chris Argyris's Action
Education & Training:
- BA from California State University, Hayward
- Certified in many Organizational Development programs including
Columbia University Teachers College Advanced OD program and Stanford's
Graduate School of Business Interpersonal Dynamics Facilitation.
- Certified in broad array of assessment tools including MBTI,
Eqi, PDI's 360 and Executive 360 certification and Franklin-Covey's
7 Habits certification.
- Worked at Center for Action Research in the 1970's delivering
training for the Peace Corps Train-the-Trainer, and a large systems
change effort within each western state to improve juvenile prevention
efforts (Youth Development Delinquency Prevention Administration)
- Involved in learning and study groups for over 20 years
- Enjoys golf, kayaking, skiing and biking. Used to be a basketball
- Lives with his wife in Palo Alto, California, and helps his
two young adult men get launched.
George likes to ask questions that lead a person from conclusions
or abstractions to the underlying meaning/assumptions and data that
support the conclusion. Examples include:
· What leads you to say that?
· What's an example of that?
· What's behind that statement?
· That question sounds more like an opinion. What is it?
· What assumptions lead you to say that?
· What meaning do you make of this?